Hi there and happy almost, Friday! I am so ready for the weekend, are you?
I got started by stamping the potted lily in Copic-friendly Hero Arts Intense Black ink onto Neenah Solar White 80# Classic Crest cardstock. Using R00, R30, and R32, I did some quick coloring, flicking the darker color out from the center of each flower, and adding a few flicks at the tip of each petal. Next, I used Polychromos colored pencils to add details to the petals. I used Rose Carmine, Madder, and Dark Red to add some fine lines, deepening the shading that I’d started with Copics. Then I added small dots using Burnt Carmine, the darkest of the four colored pencils.
I used the same technique for the leaves, starting with G43, and YG61, and then adding fine lines of shading with Earth Green Yellowish and Chrome Oxide Green color pencils. For the stamen, I used Dark Chrome Yellow. To finish up the coloring, I shaded the pot with Y23, Y32, and YR21, with a bit of YR12 on the inside of the pot and then I used the coordinating die to cut out the image. I really love it when a die cuts out all of the inner areas of an image!
For the background, I masked off the edges of an A2-sized piece of Strathmore Bristol Smooth cardstock. Then I used foam blending tools to blend Tattered Rose Distress Ink up from the bottom of the panel. I blended about a third of the way up the panel, using a lighter and lighter hand until the color faded to white. Then I deepened the color at the bottom of the card by adding Worn Lipstick.
A note about the blending: when I want to create a very soft blend that fades to white, I always feel more successful when I use bristol smooth cardstock. In fact, generally speaking, I almost always blend on bristol smooth when blending any ink other that Distress Oxides (which are so creamy that it’s easy to get a nice blend on regular cardstock). A trick I’ve learned with bristol smooth, which has a coating that lets the ink sit on its surface for a bit which gives you more time to blend, is that at some point I have to start using a tamping motion to get more ink to “stick” to the coated surface, to intensify the color. This isn’t a problem once the ink dries, but I’m too impatient to let the ink fully dry between applications 🙂
To finish the card, I stamped one of the sentiments in the set in Versafine Clair Nocturne ink and adhered the potted lily using foam tape. Finally, I adhered the card front to an A2-sized card base.
Thank you so much for coming by!