Hi there, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Today I’m sharing a card that I posted over on Instagram a week or so ago. I worked on the flower when I was at Kathy Racoosin’s Coloring Challenge Roadtrip at Gina K. Designs two weekends ago. Looking at it now brings back fond memories of being in a room full of crafters who share the same interest in coloring and card making!
I began by using Wow! Embossing Pad and white Hero Arts embossing powder to heat emboss Botan Peony stamp from Picket Fence Studios onto a 6″x6″ piece of Fabriano Artistico Extra White watercolor paper.
Then I got out Yellow and Vermillion Brusho Crystal Colour pigment powders (these are very similar to Color Burst powders) and sprinkled a bit of each into separate wells in a small palette. I added just a touch of water (not even a full drop) to each color and then used a round 2 brush to add a touch of highly concentrated Yellow pigment to the base of a petal. Then I used a Pentel Aquash waterbrush pen, filled with clean clear water, to wet the rest of the petal and pull out the color from where I’d placed it. I repeated this process on each petal to create a subtle gradient of darker yellow at the base of each petal to a lighter yellow at the tip of each petal.
The Vermillion was significantly darker than the yellow so I added another drop of water into the palette well to dilute it. Then using the round 2 brush, I added touches of Vermillion to the base and edges of each petal, one at a time. Then I used the water brush pen to blend in the color, making sure to wet down the entire petal to help prevent harsh lines.
When the flower was done I trimmed the panel down to A2 size, taking care to make sure that my sentiment would fit. Because of the way I trimmed it, the stem didn’t reach the edge of the card. To fix this, I used a bit of Leaf Green pigment to color in the stem to the edge and then I used a white gel pen to “extend” the outline of the stem to the bottom edge.
For the background, I watered down Cobalt Blue pigment powder and added it around the edge of the flower, again using the waterbrush to further dilute the color and move it to the edge of the panel.
For the sentiment, I used Versafine Clair Nocturne ink to stamp a saying from the Forever and Ever stamp set onto a piece of vellum. I sprinkled clear Hero Arts embossing powder over top and hit it with a heat gun. After fussy cutting around the sentiment, I used a Zig 2-way Glue Pen to adhere the sentiment onto the card front. I’m finding that this glue pen is a great way to adhere vellum flush to a background. It dries clear and when adhered over this watercolor paper, the vellum becomes almost transparent.
To finish, I adhered the card front to an A2-sized card base.
Thanks so much for visiting!