Hi there, I hope you’ve had a lovely weekend!
Today I colored up the gorgeous Wonderland flower from Altenew. I love the papery look of this stamp (at least that’s how it looks to me, but I don’t actually know what flower it’s supposed to be, do you?) and wanted to color it in the same pale yellows and yellow greens, like the almost-white hydrangeas that I love.
I started by stamping the largest flower in Ink On 3’s Fadeout ink onto an A2-sized piece of Neenah Solar White 80# Classic Crest cardstock. Fadeout ink is a very faint ink that is a nice foundation for no-line coloring, but any very light-colored Copic-friendly ink would work.
I had already done a bit of experimenting with my light yellow, light yellow-green, and light green colors and settled on a trick that someone shared with me a while back (I’m still looking for her name, if it was you, let me know!) on Instagram which is to use B60 to help tone down yellows.
So, I started by laying down a solid layer of B60 over the entire flower, minus the stem parts. Then I gradually added in flicks of Y0000, Y000, and G20, starting both from the base of the bloom and also from the outer edges. I added a bit of darker green to the base of the petals by scribbling some G21 to my glass work surface and picking it up with G20 before taking it to my paper. G21 I felt was a bit too dark so combining the two colors gave me a nice in-between color.
For the stem I used G21 straight from the pen and then a bit of G20. I added some fine details with Limepeel (PC1005) and Marine Green (PC988) Prismacolor pencils. By the time I used the Limepeel to add the fine veins to the petals, I had a hard time seeing the Fadeout ink so I used the contact sheet from the stamp set and guestimated where the lines would be. I also used a bit of gamsol (my first try at it!) to blend the Marine Green a bit with the Copic I had laid down as a base.
I decided that I wanted to add a subtle frame to the flower so I used one of the frames I had previously cut using the Altenew Fine Frames Cover die. I used a Zig 2-Way Glue Pen to add a bit of adhesive to the back of the frame and then adhered it to the card, using a ruler to help get it aligned.
I used Morning Mist Versafine Clair ink to stamp the sentiment, which is from the Starry Flowers stamp set from Altenew. To finish, I adhered the card front to an A2-sized card base.
Thanks so much for swinging by!