Thank You Cards

Thank You

20180810_230529

Happy Saturday to you, I hope your weekend is getting off to a nice start!

Today I’m continuing my practice with one-layer cards, incorporating some of the ideas and techniques that Kelly Latevola shared in her One-Layer Wonder class over at Altenew.  Lately, I’ve been really drawn to flowers and coloring which is perfect for one-layer cards.  This time, I’ve used flowers from the Best Mom stamp set and a sentiment from the Neighborhood stamp set, both from Altenew.

20180810_230656I started by stamping the large spray of flowers in Copic-friendly Hero Arts Intense Black ink onto an A2-sized piece of Neenah Solar White 80# Class Crest cardstock.  I colored the flowers with RV63, RV66, and RV69, starting with the lightest color and then layering in the darker colors. For the leaves, I used YG21, YG25, and YG17.

Then I used a pencil to lightly draw in the frame, with the help of a ruler of course. I wanted the frame to be tight enough to cross over the flower image, but I also had hoped that all four corners of the frame would be visible.  However, since I really wanted my sentiment to sit off to the right, I hemmed and hawed before finally accepting that the fourth corner would be “hidden” behind the sentiment.

Before I inked the frame, I erased the pencil lines near the sentiment and stamped the sentiment in Versafine Onyx Black ink.  Then I used a 01 (0.25mm) black Sakura Pigma Micron pen to draw a small dot where the frame lines intersected at the corners before I used the ruler to add the rest of the frame, skipping where the frame would have crossed the image or sentiment.

As a finishing touch, I used a white Sakura Gelly Roll pen to carefully outline the parts of the T and H that overlapped the leaves beneath.  This was one of the great techniques that Kelly Latevola shared in her class.  The contrast helps the letters be more readable.  It’s such an easy solution to a challenge I have always struggled with!  I did go back in with the black Micron pen to clean up some areas of the sentiment that I accidentally covered up with white.  Even in real life, it’s hardly noticeable.   But, if I were to make this card again, I’d mask off that last little branch.

To finish, I adhered the card front to an A2-sized card base.

Thanks so much for coming by!

20180810_230538

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s