Happy Friday! I’m really looking forward to the weekend, how about you?
Today’s card uses stamps from two Simon Says Stamps sets: Even More Spring Flowers and You Got This.
When I started this card, I really had no plan. I just knew that I wanted to play around with watercolor block stamping and so I made a few different backgrounds and decided to use this one for today’s card.
I used three Distress Oxide inks: Twisted Citron, Cracked Pistachio, and Lucky Clover. I smooshed these onto an acrylic block, overlapping the colors slightly, and spritzed it seven times with a Ranger Distress Sprayer (any fine misting sprayer will do) from about a foot away. Then I turned the block over onto an A2-sized pieces of Canson XL watercolor paper (I used the smooth side of the paper) and weighed down the block with a book for eight minutes. After time was up, I removed the block slowly, lifting at an angle and from the end over the lightest color so that the last part of the block making contact with the paper was over the darkest color. I do this because the inky water tends to drag and I didn’t want to drag the dark color over the light part of the card. I set the background aside to dry, though I did end up helping it along with a heat gun.
The flowers and leaves are stamped in Copic-friendly Hero Arts Intense Black ink onto Neenah Solar White 80# Classic Crest cardstock. I colored the images in with Copics, doing some very loose blending. I picked colors from my stash that that are closest to the Distress Ink colors: Y11 and Y15 for the flower, and YG25 and G03 for the leaves. I cut the images out using a Brother ScanNCut2 and set them aside.
The sentiment is actually a single-line long stamp but I masked off one side and then the other in order to stamp in two lines. You can safely cut acrylic stamps, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I stamped the sentiment in Versamark ink onto black Recollections 110# cardstock, sprinkled Hero Arts white embossing powder over top, and then hit it with my heat gun.
Then it came time to assemble the card. I adhered the background onto an A2-sized card base and then arranged the flowers and sentiment into the composition I wanted. Holding the group of flowers and leaves down with one hand, I used the other slide Zots Miniscule Adhesive Dots beneath various leaves and petals, pressing the images down onto the dots, and then pulling out the release paper. I like to use adhesive dots when I want some parts of the image to be loose from the paper I’m adhering to. They have a very strong hold so I only needed to use seven small dots for this card.
Finally, I adhered the sentiment strip using foam tape for added dimension, and that finished up the card.
Thank you for stopping by!