Animal Cards, Celebration Cards

Congrats!

20180423_225512.jpg

Hi there! I hope your week has gotten off to a nice start!

I made today’s card for a friend who just accepted a position at a new company. She has a dog that she adores so I knew I wanted to use one of the sweet dogs from Pinkfresh Studio’s Playful Animal Friends 2 stamp set.

I used Neenah Solar White 80# Classic Crest cardstock for this project and started by stamping the dog in Versafine Black Onyx ink. Then I stamped the banner image in Altenew Aqualicious dye ink, and then stamped the sentiment in the same black ink as the dog. I cut out the images using a Brother ScanNCut2 and set them aside.

For the card front I trimmed another piece of Neenah using the largest die from the Lawn Fawn Outside In Stitched Rectangles die set. Then I stamped the flower images in the same black ink, and the small bird in the same blue ink. I did some very simple coloring using Copics (R24 and R29 for the flowers, and BG02 for the leaves), and added dots of white Sakura Gelly Roll pen to the centers of the flowers. I also added a dot of black Sakura Gelly Roll Glaze pen to the dog’s eye, to give just a hint of dimension and shine.

I then adhered the banner flush to the card, and popped up the dog using foam tape. Finally, I adhered the entire card front to an A2-sized card base and that finished up today’s card.

Thanks for visiting!

20180422_171314.jpg

Animal Cards, Spring Cards, Thank You Cards

Thank You – Pinkfresh Studios

20180405_222219.jpg

Happy Friday! Even though I’m taking today off work, it sure felt like a long work week. I hope you had a good one and that you have some time to do something nice for yourself this weekend!

Today I’m sharing my first submission to a challenge. When I saw the colors for the Color Throwdown Challenge #487, I knew I wanted to play along. I just love these shades together!

I started by stamping flower images from Pinkfresh Studio’s Fleur 1 stamp set onto Neenah Solar White #80 Classic Crest cardstock using Copic-friendly Hero Arts Intense Black ink. Then I stamped the bird from their Bird With Flowers stamp set (the Thank You sentiment also came from this set).

20180405_213433.jpg

I colored the images using R22, R24, and R29 for the flowers, and BG45 and BG49 for the leaves and bird. I also used just a touch of W7 for the bird’s beak, though I could have easily used black or any other dark brown or gray. I did not take much care in blending since these are such small images.

Then I cut everything out using my new Brother ScanNCut2. I checked the cut lines and as far as I can tell, the Fleur 1 die set cuts these three flower images very similarly to the ScanNCut2. The Bird With Flowers set doesn’t have coordinating dies and since I’m a terrible fussy cutter, I’m glad I decided to splurge on the ScanNCut2. It have a feeling it’s going to come to my rescue on a regular basis.

I created a card front by die cutting another piece of Neenah cardstock with the largest die from the Lawn Fawn Outside In Stitched Rectangle Stackables. This added the pretty stitching along the borders.

20180405_213518.jpg

The bunch of flowers was a little hard to manage so I used Post-It Tape to temporarily hold the individual flowers in place while I arranged them. This has become one of my favorite tricks. It’s like having an extra pair of hands! Once I had the flowers in place, I flipped the bunch upside down (still held together by the tape) and applied liquid adhesive to glue them all together.

At this point, I pulled out my Misti stamping tool, experimented with the placement of the flowers and sentiment, and then stamped the Thank You sentiment in Versafine Onyx Black ink.

Then came time to assemble the card. I added liquid adhesive to the back of the bunch of flowers and adhered them to the card front. I avoided adding glue to the tulip shaped flowers since I wanted those to stand up a bit from the card. Once the glue took hold, I gently removed the Post-It Tape. Then I added foam tape to the back of the little bird and adhered her on top of the flowers. At the last minute I touched a black Sakura Gelly Roll Glaze pen to the eye of the bird to give it the tiniest bit of shine and dimension.

Finally, I adhered the card-front to an A2-sized side-folding card base and that finished off today’s card.

Thanks for visiting!

20180405_223919.jpg

Friendship Cards, Thank You Cards

Thank You For Helping Me Grow

20180328_192030.jpg

I just love the look of watercolor, don’t you?  I love the soft and loose feeling of it, but I have a really hard time achieving that look.  I’m a complete amateur when it comes to watercolor. So, I like big stamps which are easy to loosely paint, like this bunch of flowers from the Fleur 1 stamp set by Pinkfresh Studio.

I started by stamping the floral image with Versafine Black Onyx ink onto Canson XL watercolor paper.  Versafine is watercolor-friendly, so I knew the ink wouldn’t bleed when I added water.  I also added a sentiment from Hero Arts.

Then I taped down the panel to a board with painter’s tape, to prevent it from warping as I painted. Using a few colors from a small set of Windsor & Newton Cotman pan watercolors, I very 20180328_192530.jpgloosely painted the flowers and leaves, intentionally going outside of the lines.  If you’re like me, ignoring the lines is not easy!  I used Alizarin Red and Purple Lake for the flowers, and Sap Green for the leaves, applying the wet watercolor directly to the dry watercolor paper. Once those were dry, I wet down the area around and among the florals and dropped in a bit of watered-down Cerulean Blue.

Once everything was dry, I removed the painter’s tape and cut down the panel using a Stitched Rectangle die from My Favorite Things.  Finally, I glued the card front onto an A-2 sized card base.

The closeup photo shows just how messy it is, but I’m happy with it.

Thanks for visiting!

20180328_192459.jpg