Just For Fun Cards

Swinging By To Say Hello

20180516_214119

Hello there!

Today’s card uses the May 2018 My Monthly Hero kit from Hero Arts.  This beautiful set has all the elements you need to build a tree, as well as silhouette images of children on swings, and animals.

I started with an A2-sized piece of Strathmore Bristol Smooth cardstock on which I created a sunset background using a Ranger Distress Inks.  Using Post-It Tape, I masked off the upper portion of the card so that only the area that would become the grass was exposed.  I used a foam blending tool to blend on Pine Needles.  To darken the color, I blended on a light layer of Black Soot on top.

Then I re-masked the background so that only the sky area was exposed.  From bottom to top, I blended thin stripes of Barn Door, Carved Pumpkin, and Mustard Seed to create the sunset.  The blue part of the sky is layers of, from bottom to top, Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky, Chipped Sapphire, and Black Soot.

I let the background dry for a bit and then began building the tree, starting with the trunk, and then adding the branches, one at a time, from the bottom up, making sure that I had enough room for the girl on the swing.  I stamped all of the three pieces, and the girl on the swing, in Versafine Black Onyx ink. I let the panel dry for another few minutes, and then helped it along by running my heat gun over it.

I used an anti-static powder tool to prep the bottom right corner and then I stamped the sentiment in VersaMark ink.  I poured Hero Arts white embossing powder over that area, tapped off the excess, and hit it with my heat gun. To finish up, I adhered the card front to an A2-sized card base.

Thanks for swinging by!

20180516_210801.jpg

Thank You Cards

Thank You For Helping Me Grow

20180328_192030.jpg

I just love the look of watercolor, don’t you?  I love the soft and loose feeling of it, but I have a really hard time achieving that look.  I’m a complete amateur when it comes to watercolor. So, I like big stamps which are easy to loosely paint, like this bunch of flowers from the Fleur 1 stamp set by Pinkfresh Studio.

I started by stamping the floral image with Versafine Black Onyx ink onto Canson XL watercolor paper.  Versafine is watercolor-friendly, so I knew the ink wouldn’t bleed when I added water.  I also added a sentiment from Hero Arts.

Then I taped down the panel to a board with painter’s tape, to prevent it from warping as I painted. Using a few colors from a small set of Windsor & Newton Cotman pan watercolors, I very 20180328_192530.jpgloosely painted the flowers and leaves, intentionally going outside of the lines.  If you’re like me, ignoring the lines is not easy!  I used Alizarin Red and Purple Lake for the flowers, and Sap Green for the leaves, applying the wet watercolor directly to the dry watercolor paper. Once those were dry, I wet down the area around and among the florals and dropped in a bit of watered-down Cerulean Blue.

Once everything was dry, I removed the painter’s tape and cut down the panel using a Stitched Rectangle die from My Favorite Things.  Finally, I glued the card front onto an A-2 sized card base.

The closeup photo shows just how messy it is, but I’m happy with it.

Thanks for visiting!

20180328_192459.jpg

Encouragement Cards, Just For Fun Cards

Make Waves

20180327_212017.jpg

Happy Wednesday, we’re halfway to the weekend!

I finally had a chance to play with the beautiful Mermaid’s tail set from Ellen Hutson.  I combined the tail and the sentiment from the set with die cuts from Hero Arts’ Coral Fancy die set.

20180327_181514.jpgI started by die cutting all of the seaweed and coral pieces out of Neenah Solar White 80# cardstock.  I pieced the die cuts back into their negative spaces which helped hold them in place while I blended Ranger Distress Oxide inks on them.  For the seaweed I blended Peacock Feathers with Lucky Clover.  For the orange coral I blended Carved Pumpkin with Spiced Marmalade, and for the light coral I blended Antique Linen with Tattered Rose.

For the mermaid’s tail, I inked up parts of the stamp with Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide, and others with Lucky Clover Distress Oxides so there would be some color variation.  Because these inks stay wet longer than dye inks, I was able to sprinkle the image with clear Hero Arts embossing powder and heat emboss it to add a bit of shine before I die cut it.

For the background I used Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper.  This paper is the key for me when blending regular Distress Inks.  I have never been able to get a smooth and soft blend on Neenah Solar White.  Bristol Smooth paper has a coating which keeps the ink from setting as quickly so there’s time to move it around.  No more harsh lines!

I blended a very little bit of Peacock Features and Mermaid Lagoon Distress Ink (not Distress Oxide) onto the card front and then sprinkled drops of clean clear water over it.  I let the water sit for about five seconds before dabbing it off with a paper towel and then trimmed the finished card front to just smaller than an A2-sized card.

20180327_201603.jpgThen it came time to assemble the card.  I created a composition that I liked and adhered everything, except the tail, with Ranger Multi Medium Matte glue.  Since some of the pieces were layered on top of each other, I used an acrylic block to hold everything down while the glue dried.

For the tail, I used glue underneath the wider part of the tail, but towards the tip I added some foam tape for dimension.  I let part of the seaweed and mermaid’s tail hang off the top of the card, and I trimmed off some excess seaweed and coral from the bottom of the card.

To finish, I stamped the sentiment in Versafine Onyx Black ink and then adhered the finished card front to an A2-sized card base with foam tape, for additional dimension.

Thanks for visiting!

20180327_214920.jpg