Animal Cards, Spring Cards, Thank You Cards

Thank You – Pinkfresh Studios

20180405_222219.jpg

Happy Friday! Even though I’m taking today off work, it sure felt like a long work week. I hope you had a good one and that you have some time to do something nice for yourself this weekend!

Today I’m sharing my first submission to a challenge. When I saw the colors for the Color Throwdown Challenge #487, I knew I wanted to play along. I just love these shades together!

I started by stamping flower images from Pinkfresh Studio’s Fleur 1 stamp set onto Neenah Solar White #80 Classic Crest cardstock using Copic-friendly Hero Arts Intense Black ink. Then I stamped the bird from their Bird With Flowers stamp set (the Thank You sentiment also came from this set).

20180405_213433.jpg

I colored the images using R22, R24, and R29 for the flowers, and BG45 and BG49 for the leaves and bird. I also used just a touch of W7 for the bird’s beak, though I could have easily used black or any other dark brown or gray. I did not take much care in blending since these are such small images.

Then I cut everything out using my new Brother ScanNCut2. I checked the cut lines and as far as I can tell, the Fleur 1 die set cuts these three flower images very similarly to the ScanNCut2. The Bird With Flowers set doesn’t have coordinating dies and since I’m a terrible fussy cutter, I’m glad I decided to splurge on the ScanNCut2. It have a feeling it’s going to come to my rescue on a regular basis.

I created a card front by die cutting another piece of Neenah cardstock with the largest die from the Lawn Fawn Outside In Stitched Rectangle Stackables. This added the pretty stitching along the borders.

20180405_213518.jpg

The bunch of flowers was a little hard to manage so I used Post-It Tape to temporarily hold the individual flowers in place while I arranged them. This has become one of my favorite tricks. It’s like having an extra pair of hands! Once I had the flowers in place, I flipped the bunch upside down (still held together by the tape) and applied liquid adhesive to glue them all together.

At this point, I pulled out my Misti stamping tool, experimented with the placement of the flowers and sentiment, and then stamped the Thank You sentiment in Versafine Onyx Black ink.

Then came time to assemble the card. I added liquid adhesive to the back of the bunch of flowers and adhered them to the card front. I avoided adding glue to the tulip shaped flowers since I wanted those to stand up a bit from the card. Once the glue took hold, I gently removed the Post-It Tape. Then I added foam tape to the back of the little bird and adhered her on top of the flowers. At the last minute I touched a black Sakura Gelly Roll Glaze pen to the eye of the bird to give it the tiniest bit of shine and dimension.

Finally, I adhered the card-front to an A2-sized side-folding card base and that finished off today’s card.

Thanks for visiting!

20180405_223919.jpg

Feel Good Cards, Just For Fun Cards

You Are Crazy Beautiful

20180401_203410.jpg

Happy Monday!  I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

I just received my first order from The Ink Road Stamps and I couldn’t wait to use this sentiment from the Compliments Volume I stamp set.  I just love the expression and the simple, open font.  Because the font is so uniform, I wanted to pair it with a softer image so I chose this large spray of flowers from Concord and 9th’s Hello Lovely stamp set.

Because this flower stamp is so large, I used my Misti stamping tool so that I would be able to re-stamp the image in the exact same place if I didn’t get a perfect impression the first time.  I used Hero Arts Extreme Black ink, which is Copic-friendly, and Neenah Solar White 80# Classic Crest cardstock.

20180401_140749.jpgI chose colors and a coloring technique inspired by (copied from, really) this post by Kay Miller.  I’m not great at coloring so I liked that her coloring has distinct strokes and doesn’t require perfect blending.   I used three colors from three color group (I don’t own much more than that) but I think I could have gotten away with using just two colors from each group.  I started with the lightest colors, then added the middle and then darker colors, and then returned to add more of the lightest colors to do a bit, but not much, blending.  The colors I used were YG17, YG25, YG67, RV29, R22, R24, Y11, Y15, and Y19.

I then stamped the sentiment with VersaMark ink onto a strip of vellum.  I poured Ranger Super Fine Gold embossing powder over it, tapped of the excess, and hit with a heat gun to melt the embossing powder.  Since you can see a lot of the flower image through the vellum, I felt that the sentiment was a bit hard to read so I flipped it over and colored in the letters with R29, another red Copic marker.  I colored on the back of the vellum because I’ve read that using Copics directly on heat embossing can damage the markers.  I’ve also seen some crafters not heed that warning with no ill effect on their markers.  I just prefer to not to risk damaging my markers since they’re already a bit of a splurge.

I finished by laying the vellum strip over the card front and folding the ends of the strip over the back where I adhered them with a bit of tape runner adhesive. Then I glued the entire card front to an A2-sized card base.

Thanks for visiting!

20180401_203424.jpg